Monday, March 17, 2008

weekend

I had a really wonderful weekend.

Twice a year Kay and I lead a day retreat for women. And Saturday we had a rescheduled Lenten Retreat at Camp Christian. We had 13 women because of the date change - but it was a wonderful time.

I had a thought in the morning before the retreat : you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. And that really is the story of ministry. This retreat was really a day to spend with God and we presented several different forms of prayer - prayer walking, doing a mandela,
meditating on scripture, body prayers, praying together, silence. Lots and lots. We led them to water and for most of us - we drank. For me it was just a blessing. I got in touch with some of the resentments I carry and was able to recognize how it has caused me to feel unneeded distress.

Sunday morning I preached on 2 stories - the palm Sunday arrival of Jesus and the trial of Jesus. My original thought was to look at the crowd - I always find that interesting. The crowd that says "Hosanna" becomes the crowd that says "Crucify Him." And I had a lot of trouble ending the sermon. I knew it was something about what we choose to do - but I didn;t know what it was. And finally I said - "spend time at the cross this week." And now on Monday I realize that it is the same thing. you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

I don't know what anyone needs. I only know that these stories and this message of a man who shows a different way of life - nonviolent and forgiving and trusting God has what we all need.
Spending time at the cross is going to give each of us something different - or not.

I continue to be amazed at the media's response to Barak Obama's minister and church. It seems that they don't have any knowledge or history of the African American Church and they don't seem to know about the gospel message. Jesus came and while he was non violent - he named and stood up to the systems that destroyed. As they say - he did not just comfort the afflicted - he afflicted the comfortable. Anyway, maybe this dialogue will bring other pastors out to support the church in Chicago.

No comments: