Thursday, March 6, 2008

A New Earth

I started reading the book last week and just this morning watched Oprah's first class with Eckhart Tolle and filled in the workbook.

This is good stuff.
Here are some of my notes from watching:

1. They talked about giving up labels and just experiencing things as they are and Oprah said that she tried walking outside and just being in the moment in nature. This absolutely resonated with me. I learned years ago that not knowing the names of trees and plants can help us to just experience the life within the world. We get out of the mind. And this past year I have spent a lot of time walking in the metro parks here in Columbus and know that it has helped my spirit.

2. They talked about the difference between religion and spirituality. I am, of course, aware of that. I know that our labels for our beliefs and our rituals can get in the way of accessing the holy. But, as a religious woman, I know that the words, music, rituals and community can also be a door into the holy. We really have to give up our childhood faith and be open to living in the mystery and the messiness and the majesty in ALL its forms.

3. I loved when they talked about how Jesus came to show the way of the heart and the Christ consciousness. It reminded me of a book that has been really helpful to me - The Kingdom Within by John Sanford.

4. They talked about when you go deep enough into your own religion that we all end up in the same place. I absolutely believe that - I picture that we are all digging into the well which is fed by the same stream. That is not to say that some places that people dig ends up being dry - because they ARE being led into ego and separation and prejudice.

5. They mentioned some books I will looks for: The Seekers Guide by Elizabeth Lesser and Joel Goldsmith.

6. They talked about our species which looks at people maiming and killing each other for entertainment. Saw that in a new way - !!!

7. They talked about advances in technology and how it brings more ways of violence and death. But I could not help but think about the technology they were using that was literally bringing people around the world together to talk about life. Cool.

8. "Do we understand our responsibility to become aware of our mental processes? Do not amplify negativity. Become aware of your own mind." Yes. This is all about not being reactive but becoming conscious. YES!

9. Our individual fears, doubts, resentments, angers contribute to the collective unconscious. A thought: what in the heck is this election adding?!?!?!?

10. We have a responsibility to mind what is in ourselves.

11. Oprah's prayer has been to ask God to use her. That is really what it is all about for all of us. How can the divine use us in the circumstances of our lives?

12. You don't become good by trying to be good. Allow the goodness within ourselves to emerge. "Be still and know that I am God."

13. "When you look at the self it dissolves." I need to ponder this awhile.

14. Our access point is the present moment - I am definitely working on living in the present moment. I spend way too much in the past and the future.

1 comment:

ELYSSA said...

Thank you for sharing your notes. I can't wait to read this book!