Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ministry

Tomorrow is my day off and I feel good tonight about ministry.

This morning I planned the worship service for Sunday and worked on the prayer retreat that I am leading on Saturday.
I had a meeting with the director of the YMCA and we talked about the possibility of working with them and having our church be a place where kids come after school for snacks. Then they might go on to the library up the street or the the Y next door. It is a natural for us and it makes so much sense. I get excited just thinking about it.

I also worked on the program for tonight.

Wednesday nights we have a program "Generations in Fellowship Together" (GIFT) and I am just returning from it. We had a really nice chicken and noodle supper and afterward we went into the sanctuary and sang, did a Bible quiz on the story I preached (the healing of the blind man) and then we divided into pairs and took turns being blind people and then we had a discussion.
The whole program took an hour and it was really a lot of fun. We shared our highs and lows and I learned about who is grieving and who is having health problems and all kinds of things.
Afterwards I talked to somebody about their divorce and someone else about their son's illness and someone else about some issues at church. All of this feels good.

Ministry for me has always been about these moments together when we share a little bit of our life with each other and find support and friendship and understanding. I watch some of the adults who relate so well to kids and see what a difference it makes.

I am happy to be doing what I do.

No comments: