Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Two Images

I usually start the day with two "spiritual" activities: I listen to the "Pray as you Go" App and I read from the Lenten Devotional The Road Back to God.  Today they each gave a very clear image to sit with and savor.  And as I spent time with them, it was clear how they complemented each other.

The first was from Isaiah 55:10-11


For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
    and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
    giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and succeed in the thing for which I sent it

As I sat there, I thought about  the image of the dry places that receive water, the barren places that , because they have been watered,  become alive and fruitful. And then the whole idea of God's  WORD which brings life. And I wondered: what has been the word that has guided me?  What  has helped me to grow and bear fruit.?

As I turned to the devotional the wondering became concrete.  The passage of this morning  was Colossians 3: 12 - 17 which gives  a new image:

  As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 

I spent time with this image and  realized that it all  begins with our embracing a new identity.  We are  - God's chosen ones, holy and beloved.   God's word brings renewal and refreshment and a new understanding of who we ultimately are - HOLY, CHOSEN, DEARLY BELOVED.

And out of that understanding we put on differing "clothing."  When I see myself alone, unprotected and vulnerable - I put on the clothing of self protection, worry,  judgment, suspicion, greed, self interest, and even violence. I can live by this creed - if I don't protect myself, who will?

When I live into the new reality of God's love, protection, call upon me and see myself as holy, chosen, dearly beloved - then my clothing changes to compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.  The word has been received and my choices and my life changes.  

This is what transformation looks like.  This is what it means when Christ lives "in us."  Our life reflects our inner belief about ourselves.

 As a pastor, the big question is - how do we hear this WORD of love and identity and how do we help people to receive it?  And the answer is - I really don't know.  Because life is hard and it is so easy to forget God's presence, love and power is always there and to think it is all UP TO US. And to again clothe ourselves in the ways of the world.

All I know is that to start the morning with God's WORD helps to anchor me in the truth of how holy, chosen and loved I am.  And in this moment I  again clothe myself for the day in compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience.

Here is a prayer from the book A Procession of Prayers

Lord God, spring of living water

give to those who live in dry and barren lands

   the vision needed to see them as they might be

   the skill and resources needed to irrigate them efficiently

and  equipment needed to make them fertile

and, more than these,

   the spiritual insight needed to recognize that

in you alone do our thirsty human souls find true satisfaction,

In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments: