Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Come to Jesus

Come to Jesus is the title of a song by Christ Rice that I first heard and loved years ago.  Actually it is titled - "Untitled Hymn" but if you want to hear it - check it out on YOUTUBE with "Come to Jesus."

Two nights ago Audrey and I were playing games and listening to hymns and this one came up and it immediately grabbed me as it did so many years ago.  I remember just playing it over and over again.  I write this because in the Pray as you Go app - they played another old song that speaks to my soul - Keep your eyes upon Jesus.  It is amazing how music can take you into a deeper place just listening.  

Today the narrator asked the question - where do you go for advice?  And I think about all the self help books I have read over the year.  There is a whole industry in giving advice for living your "best life".  At this point in my life, I find myself spending more and more time with God's word and pondering the meaning of it all.  The truth for me is that the answers really are found here.  It is almost uncanny how what I need to hear on a given day or week is revealed or remembered through the Bible and - essentially - coming to Jesus and the way of Jesus.

I sat down this morning to do my morning devotions aware that this was going to be a busy day - with a clergy zoom meeting, a church service, preparation for Bible study, staff meetings, and Bible study.  I have to get to it.  I have to get through this.  As I sat there I realized that what I REALLY had to do was stop and rest in the word.  What I really had to do was "come to Jesus."

The text in the devotional was Titus 3: 3-8:

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another.  But when the goodness and loving kindness of god our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.......the saying is sure, I desire that you insist on these things, so that those who have come to believe in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works, there things are excellent and profitable to everyone. 

I also noticed verse 9 which spoke to me - But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for the are unprofitable and worthless. (or about politics, religion, etc)

So, I begin this day with some practical advice - devote myself to good works and avoid malice and envy and stupid controversies.  That's a good start

I found myself writing this in my journal today - to remind myself of how to live the best life

How to live well - with my eyes on Jesus

How to live well - slowing myself down

How to live well - knowing I am love

How to live well - knowing I am called to love

Live in the place of peace

Trusting that all will be well.\


No comments: