Friday, February 19, 2021

Little things with great love


That is the name of the song that began the Pray as you Go" app this morning.  It had a line in it that I wrote down:

There is one who loves me                His hand is over mine.  

That is an image that speaks to my this morning - God's hand reassuring, protecting me (and us) as we live through all the challenges of life. My friend Sandy gave me a picture of my hand on Chuck's on the last day of his life.  The touch of another is truly - a little thing with great love.  If only I could still do that.

The devotional of this morning is about "Growing Toward God" which is the task of our lives and certainly lived out intentionally during this season of Lent. The suggestion for the day is:

Today I will spend some time thinking about the special opportunities for growth that I have this Lent.

One of the opportunities I have been given is the Bible studies and the spiritual growth groups I lead at the church.  Yesterday we did a lectio divina of Psalm 25: 1-10..  We read the Psalm several times looking at different aspects of it and allowing it to just speak to us in the repetition. The very first line of the Psalm spoke to me

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

It is easy - especially on a snowy day in February in the midst of a pandemic - to feel down and desolate.  We are waiting, waiting, waiting for light, for warmth, for healing, for the touch of another.   I keep learning the gift of prayer and the Psalms.  I wrote this yesterday

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

I lift up my soul from the mire of shame, fear, anxiety

I lift up, I look up, I am drawn up to you

Lead me 

May I be humble and open to you.

That was yesterday and today I hear and know - there is one who loves me, his hand is over mine.  I begin this day with comfort and assurance and  - in some form or fashion - will continue to lift up my soul to the One who gives me life.


No comments: