Thursday, February 25, 2021

Ask, Seek, Knock

The text of the day was the Matthew version: 

“Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? 10 Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

As I listened to this today I picture myself  knocking on the door and Jesus opening it and inviting me into his presence.  A presence of peace and love and grace.  And sometimes it is like that.

I just finished preparing for the "Spiritual Growth Group" that I do this afternoon and the text we are using is Psalm 22.  It begins like this:

 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;

    and by night, but find no rest

So, it is not always - Knock and the door is opened to you.  The words of the Psalm reflect the human condition and the relationship that we have with God.  It is true that sometimes we knock and search and ask and then.........wait.  Wondering where God is.  Wondering if we have asked in the wrong way or knocked on the wrong door.

The Lenten devotional today said this: "Faith is not the belief that certain propositions about God are correct or sufficient.  Faith is acceptance that God is both forgiving and reliable."

I am a woman of faith and I live in the belief that God IS reliable.  That is to say - that when we ask, seek, knock - EVENTUALLY the door is open.  I believe that .  That is why I pray. And often I wait.   Not always patiently, but always with hope.

Psalm 22 is best known for the first two verses which Jesus said on the cross.  It begins with   21 verses of supplication - but in the end there is praise because "he did not hide his face from me, he heard me when I cried to him"


From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
    my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
26 The poor[h] shall eat and be satisfied;

    those who seek him shall praise the Lord.
    May your hearts live forever!

And so  I end this rumination remembering that faith is asking for whatever we most need in our lives right now - praying for others and also praying for self.  And trusting that we are heard and loved and  will receive what is needed.. Because God is faithful and reliable. 

And all will be well.

++++++++

May the God of PROMISE be with you.

May God be for you encouragement and guarantee of holiness and happiness.

May you know God's pledge of faithfulness and unconditional love.

And may your own vow of Faithfulness bring you to trust God's promise of life as you ask, seek and knock.  

May the God of PROMISE be with you.

Amen 

 

 

No comments: