Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The Road Back to God

This is the name of the devotional our church is using for Lent and today is the first day - Ash Wednesday.

I have prayed my "Pray as you go" app as well as spent time with our devotional.  The words of Joel speak to me this morning:

Return to me with ALL your heart

with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.

The narrator asks this question: Does a particular moment of grace and mercy stand out to you from your journey with God?

This question evokes memories of times in which God has been faithful and gracious to me as I have struggled through life events - like divorce, death and personal failures.  I sit and know that when I come with ALL my heart I recognize my weaknesses, my pride, my judgments.  And - of course - God's grace and mercy.

In the devotional is this statement - This Lent remember that in our relationship with God, receiving is better than giving.

And so, I start this season in prayer and gratitude - once again receiving God's love and grace.

Here is my prayer

Loving God,

I gather up my feelings of regret,  disappointment and embarrassment.

I confront and recognize some of my weakness, my pride, my sloth, my judgmental nature

And all makes me feel sad, guilt and shamed.

I want to be strong, self giving, humble and compassionate.

So I come to you and give you my broken, wounded sinful self and receive your love, grace and mercy.

Again.

Amen


No comments: