Thursday, December 13, 2018

Alas

I glanced through the scripture for today and the first word was alas and I stopped there.  That was enough.  Alas

I looked up the definition in the merriam webster and this is what was written:
"used to express unhappiness, pity, or concern.  Life, alas, is too short"

For me the word would be used like this:
Chuck, alas, is getting worse in his recovery from major surgery.  And it is hard to watch and hard to help.  It is sad and it is scary.

Since I last wrote, he has fallen twice - Sunday night and early Tuesday morning.  Both falls necessitated trips to the ER and he spent Tuesday night in observation at the hospital.

He can't eat or won't eat.  He has trouble swallowing.  The problem may be over medication and/or dementia.  I am supposed to puree his food except for when he comes home from the hospital and asks for and eats crackers and potato chips.

Last night he was up every hour.  I gave up sleeping and got up at 5:30 and as I write this he has already been up two more times.  I put him back to bed and tell him to get some sleep.  We have a big day with a nurse, physical therapist and occupational therapist coming.

Having Chuck in this condition is somewhat like being with a baby except the baby will stay in the crib.  What is clear is that the medications that he has been taking have got to be reworked.  I trust that eventually we will figure it all out.  Meanwhile I hope and pray for strength and wisdom and compassion as I am the caretaker during this difficult time.

Chuck, alas, is getting worse in his recovery from major surgery.  And we pray for a miracle - that the meds will be managed, that his appetite will come back, that he will get strength in his limbs and that he will come back to me.

May it be so.


.

No comments: