Sunday, December 2, 2018

A More expansive view

I decided that this Advent I am going to try to start the day with God's word.  Not reflection on my life and not the newspaper - but the lectionary texts that are given to us daily.  And see what speaks to me.

There are four texts today but I stopped at the first: Jeremiah


Jeremiah 33:14-16
14The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah.  
In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.
In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety.
 And this is the name by which it will be called: 
“The Lord is our righteousness.” 

Then  I spent some time on textweek looking up some of the commentaries on this.  What I learned is that Jeremiah was written to Israel when it was a time of chaos and fear.  There were two great enemies: Assyria to the north and Egypt to the west.  And one can only imagine the thoughts of the leaders:  what is going to happen to us?  How do we protect ourselves?

Here is a quote from one of the commentaries:
"Present reality caused the Hebrew kings to lose long term vision and give way to frantic tunnel vision."  And he said that Jeremiah, the prophet was proclaiming both warning and assurance.

The phrase that has touched me is "frantic tunnel vision" which happens during times of fear and anxiety.  Is that what happened in America after September 11, after the financial meltdown in 2008, after the Trump election?  I wonder.  I feel it with Chuck's post op condition.   The definition of tunnel vision is "defective sight in which objects cannot be properly seen if not close to the center of the field of view."  In my anxiety I only see me and Chuck and wonder how we are going to manage if he doesn't get better.

And what is the opposite of that?  It is peaceful expansive vision - seeing greater possibilities for life and a future and God's presence and invitation in this time.

When my vision expands I am able to see the blessing of a new intimacy and closeness between us and a deepening of our love.  As a pastor, I used to marvel at the patience and devotion of parishioners with parents or spouses who were in decline - both physically and mentally.  Now I get it.  Chuck's humor and generous spirit surface  and  I am heartened. 

When my vision expands I remember not just God's presence, but the "way" of God - living in the present moment, trusting the future to God.  It is in seeking to be patient, forgiving, loving and full of grace.  

When my vision expands I move into an understanding that this new life of caregiving (however long it is going to last) can be as good as the old life centered on me and my pursuits. 

And so I leave this post to wake him up and give him meds and breakfast  and start the day together.  Trusting that God is present and not only healing him but fillling me with spirit, love, peace and joy.  

May it be so.




No comments: