Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A storey by Anthony DeMello

It is called RIVER WATER FOR SALE  (from The Song of the Bird)

The master's sermon that day consisted
of one enigmatic sentence.

With a wry smile he said, "All
I do is sit by the bank of the river,
selling river water."

I was so busy buying the water that I failed to see the river.

**************

For some reason this story came to mind to me this evening.  I started this long day preaching at Oakleaf retirement center filling in for the pastor whose wife just had knee surgery.  I said I was willing to do this not realizing that Chuck would have a doctor's appointment that afternoon.  But I went with the original plan to "zip over" for 45 minutes and leave Chuck at home.

That was my plan.  When the time came to leave I was a little anxious.  I had gotten him up and dressed early and had some oatmeal in front of him and he was sitting - kind of in a stupor.  What was I going to do?  And then the doorbell rang and there stood two friends - John M and John L who came to visit.  Not knowing I was going to ask them to stay and keep him company when I went to preach.  And they did.  Two angels.

I preached an Advent sermon about Zechariah and Elizabeth and tried to put into words this life of trusting in God.  What I knew was that I preached a sermon that I needed to hear - about the one whose love and spirit flows through this world.  And I can trust it.  This God who surprises me with men who unexpectedly show up exactly when I need help.

Our visit to the doctor was exhausting - just getting him in and out of the car and then in and out of the office is enough!.  He has lost ten pounds and has no appetite.  He is getting weaker and not stronger even though he is doing physical therapy.  So, there were blood tests and answers may come later.

I am getting ready to spend tomorrow in Toledo tomorrow when Chuck's daughter is having similar surgery to his.  And am blessed with friends and family who will be taking shifts caring for him in my absence.  None of this is easy - but we are not alone.  And there is hope.  Let's call it light in the darkness.

John 1:1-5 The Message (MSG)

The Life-Light

1-2 The Word was first,
the Word present to God,
    God present to the Word.
The Word was God,
    in readiness for God from day one.
3-5 Everything was created through him;
    nothing—not one thing!—
    came into being without him.
What came into existence was Life,
    and the Life was Light to live by.
The Life-Light blazed out of the darkness;
    the darkness couldn’t put it out.

No comments: