Tuesday, March 23, 2021

When Nothing Seems to Make Sense

This is the title of the devotional from yesterday.  And the scripture that is cited is this one: 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

This morning I wake up to hearing about a mass shooting in Boulder Colorado and last week it was a shooting in Atlanta.  And every day there are pictures of the children who are crossing the border alone to come into this country.  I cannot even imagine the pain of their parents choosing to allow them to be in such a vulnerable position.  The alternative must be so much worse.  And what is the answer?  I have no idea.

At church there are people who are enduring so many trials.  There are several with cancer and others with different debilitating conditions.  It is hard to watch - and while we can pray and do so - I feel helpless in the face of their pain and suffering.

At the same time, my family is fine.  We have gotten through the pandemic with only Audrey having had covid and she had a very mild case.  At this point I have two daughters who - like me - are vaccinated and one more who has her vaccination on the calendar.  And no one has lost work and the kids seem to be doing well.

So, here I am living in gratitude for the blessings I enjoy and dismay as I see the struggles and the horror of this world.  Nothing seems to make sense.

The most helpful words I have heard spoken were from James Finley who said

"God protects us from nothing and sustains us in everything."

And so I pray for those with cancer, those who are grieving, those who are traumatized, those who are homeless, those who are weary from caregiving - that they might be aware of God's supporting, sustaining presence.  Life is not fair, it does not make sense, but God is faithful.  I cling to that thought.

May the God of STRENGTH be with you, 

holding you tight in a strong embrace and sustaining within you a foundation of faith, grace, and a place of unfailing love.

May you be the sacrament of God's strong presence to those whose hands you hold.

May the blessing of STRENGTH be with you.


No comments: