Sunday, March 7, 2021

The cancel culture

NOT

The Lenten journey is deeply opposed to what we see in our culture these days - the cancel culture.  This morning spent time with this passage from I Corinthians 1

 

 For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, 23 but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.

Here it is in the Message - 

 
22-25 While Jews clamor for miraculous demonstrations and Greeks go in for philosophical wisdom, we go right on proclaiming Christ, the Crucified. Jews treat this like an anti-miracle—and Greeks pass it off as absurd. But to us who are personally called by God himself—both Jews and Greeks—Christ is God’s ultimate miracle and wisdom all wrapped up in one. Human wisdom is so cheap, so impotent, next to the seeming absurdity of God. Human strength can’t begin to compete with God’s “weakness.”

 This cancel culture where people's pasts come to define them and then they are rejected is the antithesis of the grace of Jesus.  And surely, some may call it absurd.  There are times in which I am faced with words spoken in the past by me or actions that I took that were - ill advised, unthinking, impulsive and in a word - WRONG.  When these thoughts and memories come up - it is not at all comfortable, but I believe  it is necessary.

What God keeps showing me this Lent is the reality of the humility at the heart of the cross of Jesus.  It is a path willingly taken in which he chooses to humble himself in every way and trust God's presence and power.  For us, one path of humility is the recognition of sin and then the receiving of grace. The grace is real and at times in my life - has been almost palpable.  It seems like  shame dissipates in the face of the light and love of Jesus.  It is the path of transformation for all of us.

The cancel culture is really good at showing people their mistakes - but not so good at any kind of awareness of change of heart or mind.  There is just shame and rejection. We cancel others from a position of our power (human wisdom)  and not with understanding of the human condition and the ways in which we all can be led astray and just plain ignorant.  

What I like in this passage I quoted is the Message's words:  "But to us who are personally called by God himself - both Jews and Greeks - Christ is God's ultimate miracle and wisdom all wrapped up in one."

I believe that I have been personally called - called by name and I also believe that all people are.  And in this relationship with the living Christ I will never be cancelled.  Thank God.  I will only be loved, forgiven, strengthened and guided.  Again, thank God!

Christ crucified is an image that is profound and I imagine I will spend the rest of my life still pondering the mystery of it all.  But on this Sunday - the third Sunday of Lent - I am grateful for the gift of this journey. 


May the God of FORGIVENESS be with you,

receiving you, loving you in your weaknesses, holding you in your brokenness.

May you hear God's words to you:

"who you are in this moment is enough.  Let me love you as you are."

May this forgiving God be with you in all your relationships and in each of your endeavors,

knowing that the best reason to forgive is haveing been forgiven.

May you be blessed with the Spirit of FORGIVENESS.

(mAXINE sHONK)

 

 



No comments: