Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The National Prayer Service

As I sit here I am watching the National Prayer Service that our president is attending.

I thought I would have to stream it on the computer, but it turns out that I have choices -

I started with MSNBC - but Chris Matthew keeps giving commentary and I want to watch and not listen to him!
Then I tried C Span and at first their cameras were only on the Obamas, Bidens and Clintons.
Finally I end up at Fox and it is the service, with no commentary.

I am struck by the variety of voices. Cynthia Hale read the Old Testamen scripture from Isaiah and it was so powerful. She has a rich voice and a wonderfully dramatic and read authentic reading. I have heard her preach and she is someone I can learn from.

Then a Rabbi read and a Hispanic Priest. Familiar texts with unfamiliar voices.

Right now I am hearing an African American chorus sing a jazzy chorus of "He's got the whole world in his hands" Wonderful. Before this there was a chorus of young people singing "My shepherd provides my every need." Sweet but not soulful. But always, you know that different music affects different people. The people clap after these kids though!

What a switch - now the Archbishop Demetrios from the Greek Orthodox church speaks. He looks like he comes from another world and another century - and yet the words are the words I live be.

As the kids file out, the congregation sings - "Great is thy Faithfulness" ONe of my favorite hymns - one I want sung at my funeral. (my kids should take note!) This is my favorite part: "morning by morning new mercies I see. all I have needed, thy hand has provided!"

Sharon Watkins - who is the general minsiter of our denomination is preaching. That is why I am watching. Her sermon is okay and people applaud.

But I hate to say it - the rendition of Amazing Grace - following this is more meaningful.

I guess this is all a lesson to me who thinks that sermons are the most important part of a service (!)

There are closing prayers by a diverse group of clergy and soon our new president will go back to work.

It is good to begin with worship!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you know why we never saw Dr. Watkins's face throughout her sermon? Is it possible that she asked them to show her only with the camera over her shoulder? Do you know why that would be? It frustrated me greatly not to be able to see her face while she preached.