Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Movement

What strikes me this morning is movement

 - the movement within me for healing

 - the movement that generates energy for creativity

 - the movement that leads me into excitement about an unknown future

I could call this the movement of the Holy Spirit and maybe it is.  I just wonder about how it happens within us that we enter into a new season.

I have lived with grief for years and know that it is different now.  How does it happen that sorrow abates and diminishes?

How does tragedy or trauma move from something that stuns and hurts in the present to something that happened in the past.  It is now a previous chapter that I can revisit as needed, but its power has disspiated.

And I wonder - is it just time?  Is it tears?  Is it the practices I engage in - writing, praying, sitting with, speaking aloud.  Always, this is a mystery but I am grateful as I move into this year.

Tomorrow I lead a new Bible study at Gender Road Christian Church and I am very excited about it.  We will be studying the "Acts of the Apostles" for 24 weeks!  I have already distributed over a dozen books to people and purchased some other commentaries for myself.  I so look forward to being with a variety of people and sharing our wisdom and our lives together.  

I have preached on Acts in the past and know it is the acts of the apostles guided by the Holy Spirit.  And it always inspires me.  For me, the spirit is energy and movement.  The movement moves us forward into love and acts of service.  It surprises and delights and - as always - is mystery.  

Here is a prayer by Ted Loder


Lord,
I believe
my life is touched by you,
that you want something for me
and of me.
Give me ears to hear you,
eyes to see the tracing of your finger,
and a heart quickened by the motions
of your Spirit.

No comments: