Saturday, April 18, 2020

On and ON

So, here we are in our second month of sheltering in place.  At first I wrote about days, then weeks and now a new month.  And the awareness that we have weeks - if not another month to go.

In spiritual direction and just talking to people, I am curious about what folks are learning through this experience.  I know that until it is over we won't really know all that has happened within us and to us.  But for now I just want to reflect on what I have learned so far.

1. The importance of routine.  I find myself being more consistent with bedtime at 10 and getting up at 6.  The always make my bed, take showers, get dressed.  Sounds obvious, but I think not everyone is doing that. 

2. Projects hare been helpful.  Having projects to accomplish has made these days more meaningful.  At church I have had projects like helping to put together caller lists or organizing mask makers.  Yesterday one of my "projects" was driving in the rain and delivering some masks.  What can I say, it made me happy! At home, I have been slowly getting rid of things in this house every week and now I am stripping wallpaper in the bedroom.  It helps.

3. Information.  I have a mantra which is "anxiety is caused by not enough information."  So, I do dip in and out of the news on TV - watching at times Dewine talk about Ohio and Cuomo about New York and the President and the wonderful Dr. Fauci talking about the country.  In addition I am always listening to podcasts - The Daily and The Fifth Column and Stay Tuned by Preet which fill out the story and give background.  This pandemic is not simple and is actually fascinating to learn about all the different facets of it - from its source, to the political implications, to the human stories of suffering and heroism.

4. Bible study.  I am blessed to be doing Bible study twice a week in zoom meetings for the church and always the person who is most affected by the word is - I am sure - me.  This week reading about the resurrection reminds me that God is always at work and that Jesus was not always recognized in the moment.  Helpful to remember. 

I also read the daily lectionary.  Today it was John 20 and I read again the story of Mary in the garden.  There is something about when Jesus spoke her name aloud that told her that he was with her.  That scene touches my soul - as I know that Jesus does "speak my name" and wants me to trust him.

5. Daily meditation and contemplation. There are so many ways in which I "contemplate" God - chief among them is really just sitting.  There is a wonderful podcast "Turning to the Mystics" by James Finley that encourages me in the contemplative life.  He guides us into a time of prayer with the simple words - "Be Still and Know that I am God."  It is in stillness that I find peace for my soul and a strengthening of my faith.

Always when I talk to people about this time of sheltering the words - strange and weird come up.  It is a very strange time and my guess is that in years to come we will look back on it in wonder.  I am continuing to learn about living alone and I am finding that it is becoming more and more comfortable.  And at the same time, I think I have a greater awareness that ultimately I am never alone because of my faith.

I will end this with a prayer by Henri Nouwen

Lord Jesus,
Free me from the many things that occupy and preoccupy me.
Help me just to be with you.
To pray with you, glirfy you, thank you, worship you.
I want to be attentive, more ready to hear you, more willing o undersand the mystery of your b rth and life,\
your dying and your rising.
Make me still, Lord, make me quiet, and speak to me in that silence.
\Amen

No comments: