Thursday, April 9, 2020

Keep your eyes on Jesus

Today is Maundy Thursday and I will not be in a church.  I may watch one online, but I will not be in community with others today.

I read the scriptures of this day and ponder again the last supper, a meal served to the disciples the day before the crucifixion.  They gathered and he fed them and told them to remember him in this meal.  He gave them what we sometimes call - the bread of life and the cup of salvation.  Most importantly then, he spoke the words of forgiveness as he passed the cup.  They, of course, had no clue that within 24 hours they would betray, deny and run away from him in his time of suffering.

What I remember this morning as we continue to live through these strange days of the pandemic, is that if I start with Jesus "all will be well."  If I start with myself - I encounter the one who can so easily betray, deny, and run away from pain and suffering.

This holy week is unique as I am experiencing it in isolation and  aware of the pain and suffering of the world right now.  An unseen and powerful virus is at floating through the air and can infect, debilitate and kill people.  Like most of us, I stay home and protect myself by  being quarantined.
And I wait for life to return to whatever normal is going to look like.  There are times - like this morning  - that this feels so passive - to just wait for the danger to pass.  Like I am hiding out  in an old western while the bad guys are fighting the sheriff and I am cowering inside away from the action.

But I keep my eyes on Jesus who tells me that he loves me and wants to feed me at the table once again.  And remind me that he is the anchor in the midst of the storm, and that all will be well.  That at this time in my life I am out of the action - waiting in faith and trusting that "all will be well."

So, I start this day with prayer and gratitude.  And prayer this prayer from Teresa of Avila


Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

No comments: