Friday, March 13, 2020

Peace to you who are far off and peace to those who are near

 One of the texts of today is Ephesians 2:; 1-11 which describes Jesus as the one who brings all people together - the Gentiles and the Jews - the ones who are far off and those who are near.
In this very very divided time the corona virus may also be bringing us all together.  But not into peace, but into anxiety.
It seems like every hour there is a new cancellation - the latest being all the libraries which will affect my tutoring Nimo on Mondays.  Today is Friday when I usually work as a volunteer at the hospital and I chose to stay home - the warnings about the virus have convinced me I need to limit my human interaction.
Last night I really became aware of my own anxiety about all of this.  I keep reading and listening to podcasts and the news and know that the ones at risk are people my age.  And, even though I don't "feel" 70, I am.  And so, I find myself pondering my mortality.
Yesterday I was clearing out books and came upon a littlle book I had bought some years ago:  "Let  Nothing Disturb You", 30 days of readings by Teresa of Avila.  The title really grabbed me as Corona Virus is really starting to disturb me.  So, I decided that this might be a good practice for the next thirty days.  It  gives you an opening prayer - a mantra for the day and a prayer at the end of the day.  I think this is exactly what I need today.  I read it slowly a couple of times  and then the day's mantra

A WHOLE LIFETIME IS SHORT
I CANNOT DEPEND ON ANYTHING THAT PASSES AWAY

Then I sat in silence and tried to still my mind and my anxiety.  I finally got somewhere and then spent about 20 minutes at the piano playing hymns starting with "It is Well with My Soul" .  And finally felt a sense of peace within me.
What I know to be true is we are all going through something none of us have ever experienced before.  I cannot depend on anything that passes away - and that leaves my faith.  So, I begin with prayer and meditation and music and now writing.  All of which eventually does give me peace within my soul.

I will end this with words to a hymn that was helpful to me today:

Lead Me, Lord, lead me in thy rightousness,
make thy way plain before my face.
For it is thou, Lord,
thou, Lord only,
that makest me dwell in safety.

No comments: