Thursday, March 12, 2020

Manna in the wilderness

One of the readings for today is Exodus 16: 1-8.  It is the Israelites in the wilderness complaining to Moses:  "you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with humnger."

And then the Lord says to Moses "I am going to rain bread from heaven for you, and each day the people shall go out and gather enough for that day.  In that way I will test them, whether they will follow my instruction or not.  On the sixth day, when they prepare what they bring it, it will be twice as much as they gather on the other days."

I see much in this text.  First the challenge of leadership and how people "murmur" in complaint as the leader does what they are called to do.  I think about it in the church and also right now as we keep wondering about all these measures that are being taken with the corona virus. 

And then there is God who cares for God's people on a daily basis.  Giving us sustenance enough for that day.  Even though it may not be a banquet - it will be enough to live on.  Particularly when we are in the wilderness.

And finally there is the Sabbath and the idea that we need to trust and also spend time with our God.

Last night  I came home from a good day at church of being with people - both staff, pastoral care, and two book groups.  I had several encounters with people that were "Holy" and I really felt guided by God in so many ways.  All during the day and evening more and more notifications came to my phone about the coronavirus.  It is officially a pandemic, there is no more travel to other countries, churches are cancelling services, Tom Hanks and his wife have the virus, my daughter's school is closed ......on and on.  It feels like the wilderness to me.  We have never experienced anything like this - and no one knows what is next.

What I know to be true for me is that contact with people like I had yesterday really gives me life.  I just don't know what is coming and what the  "manna" is going to look like in my life.

All I know is what I preach and write over and over again - somehow God is working through all of this.  Today I drive to Akron to see some of my favorite clergy friends.  We will commiserate and compare notes and pray together. And be manna to each other.

May God stay with you when the demons of ANXIETY surround you and when worry interrupts your peace and overtakes your trust.
May you experience the comforting hand of God upon your trembling shoulder and know that you are not alone in your concern.
May you trust the God who knows all things and holds all things and makes all things work together for good.
May you entrust your cares to and may you be blessed by the God of TRANQUILLITY.
May you receive the MANNA that God is giving you today.


No comments: