Friday, March 6, 2020

Finding the Message


 One of the readings for today is Romans 3: 21-31.  As I read it I became more and more frustrated by the sentence structure and what I experiences as hard to understand language from Paul.  So, I did what I often do - turn to "The Message by Eugene Peterson.  That is where I was able to find clarity.

Here is an example of that - in the New Revised Standard, Romans 3: 27-28 reads:  Then what becomes of boasting?  It is excluded by what law?  By that of works?  No, but by the law of faith.  For we hold that a person is justified by faith apart from works prescribed by the law.

In the message, these same verses

27-28 So where does that leave our proud Jewish insider claims and counterclaims? Canceled? Yes, canceled. What we’ve learned is this: God does not respond to what we do; we respond to what God does. We’ve finally figured it out. Our lives get in step with God and all others by letting him set the pace, not by proudly or anxiously trying to run the parade.

This gives me an image to start this day - getting in step with God and letting God set the pace.

Another text of today is Psalm 121 which begins like this: 

 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
    from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.


It is a picture of God who is our help and guardian - from every evil.  God guards our life.

I write this as the coronavirus is getting more and more of my attention. It is a situation in which we have seemingly no power - except to keep washing our hands! - and there is a prospect of death and destruction.  Which as I write this, I wonder if it is an exaggeration or reality.  That is part of the free floating anxiety and dread that we are experiencing these days.  

Around the world, countries are starting to limit gatherings of people.  I was surprised that "The Arnold" here in Columbus is limiting spectators because of this epidemic.  So, what is coming down the road?  That is what I wonder  and worry about.   How will it effect church, schools, travel, the economy, and people that I know.

So, back to the question of faith.  I begin a day of being with people - at the hospital handing out robes for mammograms this morning and attending a talk by Mirabai Starr in the evening. 

 I hope I walk with God and let God set the pace.    And in the midst of what is a confusing and possibly alarming situation, I can only trust  that God is our help and guardian. 

And wash my hands!

Here is a blessing

May God stay with you when the demons of ANXIETY surround you and when worry interrupts your peace and overtakes your trust.
May you experience the comforting hand of God upon your trembling shoulder and know that you are not alone in your concern.
May you trust the God who knows all things and holds all things and makes all things work together for good.
May your trust your cares to and may you be blessed by the God of TRANQUILLITY.

No comments: