Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Finding a Rhythm,

It seems to me - on day three of being "sheltered in place" - I need to find a rhythm for my days.  Routine always gives me a sense of balance and security and it feels like it is coming.

On my reading by Teresa of Avila today the prayer begins like this:
Our Lord asks but two things of us:
love for God,
and love for our neighbor.
These are the two virtues
that we must strive to obtain.
If we practice them perfectly
we shall be doing the will of God,
and so will find the union we seek.

And the day's mantra:
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF.

As I seek to find rhythm in a long day, I know that love my neighbor has got to be part of it. What I am missing, of course, is being with people - particularly in the church and getting to do pastoral care.  Now, the contacts  phone call, text and facebook.

I am currently putting together a list of people in our congregation that we want to check in on weekly.  And a list of callers to do the checking in.  I know that I want to be on both lists.  Yesterday I got a text from a neighbor checking in on me.  I realize I am perhaps seen as the "elderly widow" in the neighborhood and the truth is that I was touched to receive the text.  It is so easy in a long day by oneself to feel disconnect and alone.

I read on facebook about the introverts who love being alone.  And in the spiritual circles I travel in, this is described as an opportunity for "retreat."  That is true, for a while.  But at some point, it is really good to be thought of by others, to be reached out to, to be loved by our neighbor.

So, the rhythm of this day will involve busyness and silence, giving and receiving, and time spent with God.  I return again today to Psalm 81
"I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.  Open your mouth and I will fill it."

My prayer is that we may all find the rhythm that we need to give us a sense of peace and order in the midst of this tumultuous time.

May God bless you in your anxiety when the instability invades the day and throws you into moments of uneasiness and agitation.
May God catch you in those moments and carry you back to the center of your soul, the dwelling place of God, where calm and stillness live.
May you find a rhythm in your life of giving and receiving.
May you know the freedom of being known and loved unconditionally.
May the God of love bless you.

No comments: