Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Casting the First Stone

The scripture today is the familiar story of the woman caught in adultery and brought before Jesus.  There are a lot of deconstructions of this story - why the woman and not the man?  She was used as a trap by the pharisees to get to Jesus.  Etc.

But the main point is definitely the main point.  Let those who are without sin cast the first stone. It reminds me of the story I told recently in a sermon about the monk called to pass judgment on a fellow brother who had committed a grievous sin.  He came reluctantly with a leaky jar behind him.

And he said - my sin is flowing out behind me and I do not see it, and yet I am called to judge another?

We live in a time in which media  is replete with judgment.  With this COVID-19 people are making tough decisions and being second guessed in the moment.  Is it enough?   Is it too much?  too soon? overreaching?  It is easy to join the chorus.  And that is just one topic!

The way of Jesus is a way of compassion and it leads to a softened heart, an open mind and a willingness to live in vulnerability.  When I do pastoral care or spiritual direction, there is no place for a critical spirit. .  Instead, we sit with another and listen to their pain and circumstances without judgment.  Frequently I find myself in tears with others and definitely wondering afterward - how it would be for me if I lost a child, or had cancer, or lived without a caring family?  There are all kinds of situations that we can judge from a distance, but when we get close we see how hard life can be.  And what people frequently need is a companion and a witness - definitely not a judge. 

If we are honest we know that criticism and judgment can come more naturally at times than compassion and understanding - particularly when others around us engage in it.  So, my prayer for today is that I might be a source of love and compassion to those I encounter.

Here is a prayer by Ted Loder that speaks to me today

I Remember Now in Silence
by Ted Loder
++++
Lord,
plunge me deep into a sense of sadness
at the pain of my sisters and brothers
inflicted by war,
prejudice,
injustice,
indifference,
that I may learn again to cry as a child
until my tears baptize me
into a person who touches with care
those I now touch in prayer:




No comments: