Friday, April 10, 2015

He reveals Deep and Hidden Things

Yesterday I had a very busy day of what I will call "productivity" and did not have the time to write in this blog.  It involved a funeral in the morning, a group in the afternoon for whom I provided devotions and a book group in the evening in which I supplied a discussion guide.  So I was busy doing what I like to do.

The readings this morning remind me of how God inspires me. The first is from the book of Daniel (Daniel 2:1-23).  In this the king had a dream and wanted the wise men to tell him - not just what the dream meant, but the dream itself.  He was going to put them to death, and Daniel intervened and asked God to reveal the dream to him.  After God did, Daniel said:

Blessed be the name of God from age to age, for wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons, deposes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with him. To you, O God of my ancestors, I give thanks and praise, for you have given me wisdom and power, and have now revealed to me what we asked of you,"

The  passage from Acts is Acts 4: 23-31 has the disciples released from Jail and marveling at the strength of God which transcended earthly powers.  It ends with these words:

31When they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness.

What I continue to personally experience in my life is inspiration that comes to me from God.  And often I see it in a day like yesterday.  There is no question that there are times when I am putting together sermons and other writings that I feel like God gives me images and words that help in expression.  There  are true epiphanies that are just part of this journey of faith and they come as we pray, gather in community,  and engage in work that God desires for our lives.

To me the whole gospel message comes down to two basic and fundamental beliefs: we can trust God and love heals.  Trusting God means that we go forward in faith that the words come, that the way will be cleared, that we will be given what we need in order to do the work of love that God has given us.  As I write this I know it is really counter culture.  In the face of anxiety and insecurity, our tendancy is always going to be to take control ourselves in a variety of ways.  And, of course, I do.

But then there are times when I remember to wait, to listen, to trust that there will be enough time, the right people, the words and circumstances that will bring me into alignment with God's desire for life.
And in those moments God does reveal deep and hidden things and it is well with my soul.

I will end with a wonderful poem by Haviz I shared with my peer group yesterday.

How
Did the rose
Ever open its heart
And give to the world
All its
Beauty?
It felt the encouragement of light
Against its 
Being
Otherwise
We All Remain
Too 
Frightened.



No comments: