Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Newsletter letter

Every month I write a letter to the congregation in the newsletter. I am getting ready to write one now. But I re-read last month's and thought I would share it on my blog. It really expresses how I feel about the church and God's work in the world.

Dear Friends
I am still recovering from the activity of last week – our Vacation Bible School. It was a busy week as we had 75 children and youth registered and attending and 40 youth and adults working. It was also a wonderful week to watch the children enjoy learning the Bible stories, singing songs and feeling the love of this church.
At the end of the week, Sunday afternoon I was blessed and honored to preach at Heather Bentley Hicks ordination service. It was an inspiring time of worship as we heard this beautiful young woman make her ordination vows to serve God. We laid hands on her and she served us communion.
All of this goes together. The church nurtures us into our calls and for some of us it may be a call to ministry in the church. For others it is our ministry within the work place, the home, the community, and a myriad of other ways in which God can use our gifts and desires.
What is most exciting to me about the spiritual journey is that God is working in ways that we cannot see, but we can trust. Eugene Peterson wrote that the assumption of the spiritual life is that God is always doing something before I know it. And then he wrote this

“So the task is not to get God to do something. I think needs to be done,
but to become aware of what God is doing so that I can respond to it and participate and take delight in it.”
Occasionally I get glimpses of what God is doing and that happened last week at this church. I am grateful for all of the staff and volunteers that worked together to help guide others to know the purpose and the joy of a life lived as a disciple of Christ. Let us continue to look for what God is doing and join God in bringing His love into this world.
See you on Sunday.
Margot

1 comment:

Audrey Connor said...

that's real nice mom - i like it. i think the louisville people ought to give you that sabbatical money for sure!