Thursday, August 13, 2009

Interesting Week

I am writing this from home and waiting for some laundry to dry before I go back to Camp Christian and Advance Conference.

It has been an interesting week. One of my fellow minister said on Sunday - "Isn't it hard to leave the church - something always happens!" And I said - NO - not usually. Well three things have happened in the church this week: a member passed away, the church was broken into, and another member had brain surgery. That is why I got up this morning to be with the family. And it is good news - he has gotten through it successfully. But I wanted to be with the family and was glad that I was!
And the break in was no big deal - the glass on the door of my office and Erica's office was broken - but no damage beyond it. Probably someone looking for cash for drugs.

Meanwhile, at Advance Conference we are spending a week talking about and experiencing "Life in God." Each of us "faculty members" do a keynote on the theme of the day. Afterwards, we discuss it in small groups, some committee work and then free time in the afternoon, then vespers and an evening activity. The camp is full of young adults - ages 19 - 29 and having been part of it for over 10 years, I love interacting with them and seeing their growth. It is an amazing week - deep discussion and more laughter than I have the rest of the year.

My keynote was on doubt and it was Tuesday and I really enjoyed putting it together and doing it. I talked about the areas where we go through doubt - maybe to faith, maybe to more mature faith, maybe away from the institutional church, maybe away from God. The five areas I mentioned were: during times of tragedy, being exposed to exclusivity in the church, various Bibilical interpretations, recognizing how flawed the church can be, and having good people in our life for whom faith is irrelevant. This really was a good springboard to some honest sharing. It all felt good.

Yesterday the keynote was on spiritual disciplines and we practiced many during the keynote and our vespers service in the evening. It was a nice peaceful day.

So, soon I will be driving back and go back into that other community that has become so important to me.

Oh, and really the best part of it all - is that this year we have a mother/ daughter team on faculty - me and Audrey. How great is that!

1 comment:

Eventuallysusan said...

I am waiting patiently for your return. I wish I could be there w/ you during all of this. What an incredible group you Connor women are.