Saturday, July 27, 2019

My last garage sale

Started yesterday and ends today.

It is 7:30 and soon Marnie and Kacey and Audrey will come over and help me to set everything
out today.  We had our first day yesterday and I made $250 but that is not the point of it.  The point is to clear out some of the stuff that fills my garage and basement.

We have been finding and sorting items for the past six week and pricing in the past few days.  What I know is that it would have been overwhelming to me without the help of my girls and grandkids.  With them, it is fun and coupled with meals and games and laughter.  Without them, it is daunting and kind of sad.

Chuck was a treasure hunter and my home is full of his treasures.  And he was a handyman who could fix most things and I have some broken and some working items.  And he was somewhat scattered and so - rather than having a few screwdrivers, he ended up with 50 and about 10 sanders and 8 drills.  you get the picture.  So we have treasures, appliances, tools, cookbooks and just lots of things to sell.

Some people have annual garage sales, but I find it hard work - not just getting the stuff ready but sitting in my driveway and watching people come by and look at and reject items that have been precious to us.  Or buying them - and then I think I should have charged more.  I keep having to remind myself that the purpose of this is not the $$$ but the purging.  I also have a sense of Chuck's enjoyment of these sales - so this is - in a way - a homage to him.  The final sale at 1812 White Pine Court.

Marnie will be coming with her family and Addie and Maggie plan to have a lemonaid stand.  I hope we have enough people so that they can make a profit.

And I have a feeling that this will be a day of a lot of fun.

May it be so!


No comments: