Saturday, October 20, 2018

What did I do?

I leased a car.  A red 2019 soul.  That's what I did!

Yesterday was the "Gallivant Day" for me and Chuck.  These days in which we plan ahead to have lunch together in a new restaurant neither of us have been to have turned out to be a real gift.  I had decided since Chuck was having to cut down on his"Gallivanting" out of town, that I would put one day a week into our schedule to do so.  (I also have a blog about it on this page)

It has turned out to be an unplanned eating experience.  We just go to a certain part of town and look for something.  We decided to try north Columbus because we wanted to swing by a car dealership and get a quote.  I had already decided that what I wanted was another soul - because it works so well for us.  He would get my old soul and I would get the new one.  I thought a lease worked well because - who knows how long he is going to be driving?  I don't say this aloud - but think it.

At the dealership, of course, it was not as simple as I wanted.  I explain what I want.  i am not making a decision today - just give me a quote.  And then I learn about decisions - how much to put down?  how long is the lease? and really, do I want to buy? How many miles a year? I ask for a quote for 12,000 miles a year and two thousand down?  It comes with a breakdown of what it would cost to buy it for 6  years.  It takes 15 minutes of me waiting to get that quote.  Then I ask to get another quote of 10,000 miles or 15,000.  And am told it is too much paper.  I move to take the quote with me and I am not allowed.  Can I take a picture.  No.  So I make my displeasure known and leave.

The young man - Josh - calls me and apologizes for making me uncomfortable. I inform him that I was not uncomfortable - but he was withholding information and I am a hot prospect.  He says he is going to email me the information.  (and does not.)  I am steaming and Chuck is enjoying the whole thing.  He likes it when I get mad at people - it does not happen much.

Anyway, lunch as a new mexican restaurant and we go to another dealership closer to home.  And I don't know what happened.  Princeton, a young African American man greets us.  When I mention leasing he turns to his "manager" - a short hot shot who explains why it is so great to lease and I am hooked.  I know what I want.  And they have a  red soul in stock.  I test drive it and take it to my house where Princeton can pick up our decrepit sedona for a trade in.  I enjoy talking to him - a former basketball player new to Columbus.  At one point he takes a call from his girlfriend and I get a kick out of his greeting:  "Hey Baby." Miraculously he is able to drive this van to the dealership - it has intermittent power steering and we get  $500 for it!

I continue to wonder how it is that I go to get quotes and end up with a vehicle.  Literally, it happens every time.  Every 6 or so years.  My intentions are to take my time and ponder and pray over this decision.  Somehow I invariably start at one dealership where I get mad and end at another when I buy.

So, I am leaving in 15 minutes to go to a meeting to be trained in being a greeter at my new church.  And will get to smell that new car smell as I scoot along in my new soul

No comments: