Friday, October 19, 2018

Morning Thoughts about Spiritual Sight

I have been slowly working my way through Mark Nepo's The One Life We're Given and I was struck by this sentence:
"The practice of seeing things as they are is more complicated than any of the sages have said."

And I found myself thinking about how what we see  - or HOW we see - is a spiritual practice.

It starts with seeing things as they are - not as we wish they were, not as we hope they were, not as we are afraid they are going to be.  The practice is simply to see it.as it is - with no illusion and no denial.

And I want to add to that the practice of "assuming good faith"  - that is going into every encounter with others and with the expectation of good will on their part and my part.  Or to credit Brene Brown to keep trying to see that "they are doing the best they can."  

And finally I want to see what I see and at the same time trust that underneath the surface or hidden from sight is the hand of God at work.  Always moving with love, healing and grace.  This does not mean thinking that "everything happens for a reason" - but that in every occasion there is something to learn and a way to grow and an opportunity for healing.  And when we make the "wrong" decision -an alternate way will emerge.

So.....having thought about that for awhile this morning as I prepare to live into today, I write this prayer to God.

Loving and faithful God, help me to see things as they are
not as I want them to be
not as they might be in a worst case scenario that I imagine and then try to protect myself from
not in a delusion of pollyanna optimism
But as they are in this moment.
Help me, Lord to be comfortable with all the situations of not knowing and to wait patiently for events to unfold.

Loving and faithful God  help me to greet the people in my life and those that I encounter with kindness.  Help me to understand that we all carry wounds and are doing the best we can.

Loving and faithful God help me to trust that you are working always to bring light, healing and love into every life..  In the midst of what can be confusing and messy, you are present as life giver - creator and re-creator and lover of my soul.

May I walk through this day awake, alive and open to all the gifts you offer.
Amen

No comments: