Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Notes from the Regional Assembly

Well, it is over and it was pretty wonderful from my point of view.
Here is what I like about it.
1. the two worship services were well thought out and very fulfilling for me.  I loved the preaching and we had a liturgy in the morning that named the grief and loss and anger we feel from the past.  It was very moving.
2. we had a brief time of conversation around what we have appreciated in our church life and I really got in touch with how much real JOY I have experienced over the years through my work in the church.
3. the business meetings made the four resolutions clear and we understood and voted on them in good order.
4. I appreciated Janet Long's impassioned concerns about churches which do not support DMF giving.  Accountability!
5. The selection of officers was transparent!  I think about how many times I have sat in rooms with lists of people and making phone calls.  Both in the local church and through regional work.  This reminded my of how the Advance conference now selects their three officers who are responsible for a years work of planning.  Each person takes the very vulnerable step of coming forward and saying they feel called to this work - they are "called, willing and prepared"  And then the vote comes and maybe they get elected.  They have already committed themselves.  I don't know how many times people are asked to do important jobs and ithe responsibilities are dismissed by the asker - "it's only a meeting a month, or 5 meetings a year."  And they come expecting to do the minimum.  We need people who are ready to go.
6. We also created a new committee - a transition committee that will only be in existence for 8 months that is tasked to have listening conferences and plan another assembly in the spring.  21 people volunteered to be part of this - and 9 were selected from that group.  It is innovative and helping us to be accountable.  

So.....I came away from it feeling like it was a very good beginning.  And we also got the news that the debt to camp has been reduced alot!  from $280.000 at the beginning of the year to now - under $60,000.  We can do it.  We can raise the money.  I know we can!

Here's a good blessing from that day

May the RISEN LORD be with you,
lifting you from every darkness and revealing to you the hidden life in every death.
May your rise to every opportunity to know God
.....in the love of your friends, in the beauty of creaiton, and in every peak and valley of your singular life.
May you know Resurrection promise in each exchange with God's people.
May the RISEN LORD bless you.

No comments: