Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Reflections so far

Our Christmas still is not over. We are going to Lisa's today to see Lisa, Harve, Shane, Brock and Rachel. Then it will be over.

It has been a good time.
What was wonderful for me was that the biggest part of the gift giving was over last Monday and I really felt I had time to spend on Christmas Eve making sure that the servicde was done.

And it is a blessing to do that without feeling rushed. The service was good - even though we had a glitch at the end with the screen frozen. But seeing families together and hearing again the wonderful story of hope, peace, joy and love made me remember that it is all about that.

My family was there in force - all the girls, the grandkids, plus Karen and Paul (Brett's mom and step dad) and Erik and Lindsay (Brett's sister and brother in law) so they took up space in every way. Someone said to me afterwards: "I love watching your family, they are so Rambunctious" (Hmmmmm. what does that mean?)

Christmas Eve night fun afterward at our house with Chuck making 2 fondues and plenty of wine for all. And we played "Seinfeld Scene It" and exchanged a few presents with those who spent the night. I bought Marnie some pJ's that seemed perfect for her - they said "Funny" except - ooops! - they actually said "Bunny!" Am I getting old? Or in a hurry shopping?

Christmas morning we had Cheese and Sausage strata and played lots of games and saw the Benjamin Button movie. It was really a wonderful film - with lots of meaning and great acting and of course, Brad Pitt. What could be better than that?

Friday we said goodbye with linch with Audrey and Caroline and then I had a second lunch later in the day. We met with Lisa, who is a 30 year old cancer survivor from Pennsylvania who has been having chemo this year here in Columbus so that her family could care for her. Our reiki team has been giving her reiki periodically through the year and she was part of Bible study I did last year. She is almost done with her treatment - today she is having reconstrcutive surgery. It was so good to see her - she looks so good. Her hair has grown in and she had on make up and just looks fabulous. Plus she is really like an angel - we have been so blessed by her.


Saturday I went to camp to lead a Bible study on the Demonic Man healed by Jesus as they were spending a day learning about addiction. It is always fascinating to do a "Lectio Divina" and this was no exception. The young people saw so much in the text and it really related to addiction and the way in which there are forces that work against it.

Sunday afternoon we all Lisa a reik treatment to prepare her for the surgery and then I went to a church service as Christ Memorial Baptist Church where Charles Ferguson, our gospel praise service preacher, got ordained. The Baptists do it differently than the Disciples - as went through a process because he now has a church to pastor on Sunday morning. The service was long by our standards (2 hours!) but inspiring. Charles mentioned our church and seemed happy to have us there.

I certainly have a rich and full life - with family and church and everything. But on top of that - Audrey introduced me to a new website which may become my downfall. It is
www.eastoftheweb.com There are games on there and there is a game where you are making words out of 6 letters. Every round is only a minute. Ten rounds is a game - only 10 m inutes and wait - I think I can do better next game - only another 10 minutes. Right? Have I played for an hour? How did that happen? You know.
It's fun. I think I should think about the Bible study I did at camp about the man and the demons. Video games are mine!

But after all, it's the holiday!

3 comments:

Me said...

great post! and i am addicted to the east of the web, too!

Pattie said...

What a great Christmas! You had what I would consider the perfect Christmas. Gifts and time with family spread out so everyone gets quality time with one another, and best of all the peace and tranquility to concentrate on the Christmas Eve service and the reason we celebrate! You say it all the time, you are so blessed and God is definitely good!

Audrey Connor said...

nice post - yes, i am addicted too....