Monday, April 7, 2008

when you grow up.....

I started a new Bible study on Sunday morning and one of the opening questions was: when you were a child - what did you want to be when you grew up?

And as a good leader I went first. And said that I wanted to write broadway shows. I remember reading about George S. Kaufman and many other around the Algonquin table and I thought what a wonderful life to work with other people creating shows. I also always wanted to have a partner. Not to do it by myself. You know - Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe.

Now, the people I envy the most are the Coen brothers - how cool it must be to do movies together with your brother.

And I realize that in some ways - I may not be writing broadway shows - but I am part of putting together a production every week. We call it worship. I also realize that I want to be part of a team that does that. There is nothing to me that is more wonderful than dreaming up ideas with other people and then later watching them come together on a Sunday morning.

The other part that is so funny now -( that I am as old as I am) is that we make our plans and I usually put the service together early in the week and by Sunday I have forgotten all of the elements and am often awed by how well it all fits together.

Anyway, I realize that I am really blessed to be doing something that is a variation of what I wanted to do when I grew up!
Are you?

3 comments:

Me said...

nope. i always thought i would have a briefcase and work in an office. :)

ELYSSA said...

I had planned to be a teacher and writer, but in college I switched over to psychology. I never imagined that I would find so much fulfillment working with recovering addicts and ex-offenders, but I love this path that I stumbled upon!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.