Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rest in Peace, George

This morning we took George our cat to the vets and within 15 minutes got a phone call that told us that George was not going to be able to make it.

George has been lethargic and in pain for 2 days and we thought perhaps he had eaten something - but it turns out that he had crystals forming in his urethra and he a urinary tract infection. Apparently this happens with male cats.

We had a hard decision - it would have cost $450 - $500 for his care for this week with no guarantee that we would not be coming back later for surgery. We cannot afford it.

So, George was euthenized and this afternoon we will bury him in our back yard with a tree or a bush as a marker.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am hardly a pet person and not exactly a cat person. But George was special. We got him about 10 years ago. He was in the barn at the Wood County Historical Society and so we named him George. (after Washington!) He was black and white and pretty independent. Hardly ever meowed - except when he was hungry.

Over the years however, he has spent a lot of time on my lap and often slept with me and Chuck if we let him. My morning always started with making coffee as he wrapped himself around my legs waiting for me to go downstairs to feed him.

The coolest (or the weirdest) thing that George did was that he batted and growled at his tale as if it were the enemy. We always wanted to get a video of that.

He was not good with the grandkids because he was our cat. Not theirs. They were in his territory and he let them know.

We are going to miss George.

2 comments:

Me said...

He was a great cat. I broke the news to Alyse and she said, "He wasn't nice to me, but I liked him. He was a good boy."

ELYSSA said...

I am sorry to hear about George. When I moved from Oly to NYC, I had to give away my cats and it was really sad! Also, my parents had cats before my mom died and they were always great pets because they were so low maintenance, but very loyal and loving!