Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday in Phoenix

Chuck and I just took a walk to a second hand store and now we are getting ready to go to Sedona for 5 days. Susan and Ken have rented a timeshare.
It should be beautiful there.

Yesterday I read most of "The Writing Diet" by Julia Cameron. The retreat we are going to is being led by Julia Cameron. So, here are some highlights from the book -

1. Do "Artist's Pages" every day. This concept was in her book "The Artist's Way." It means to start the day with three pages written. Three notebook sized pages - 8 by ll. Not journal sized pages. That is a lot of writing. the point is to get out what is within us. She used the image "getting current" which means to get in the current. And the artists pages reveal the blocks to the current. I have done this in the past and know it is helpful. And I recognize that i need it.

2. She writes about walking. And interestingly, I had just come back from a long walk with the realization that I need to do that every day. She quoted someone as saying that the artist's pages are sending (messages to God) and that the walking is receiving. (messages from God) and that is true for me so many times. In walking I have insights that are so helpful in sermons and in just planning my life. She calls them "Alpha Ideas" - thoughts that seem to come from a higher power. She quotes a Zen master who writes about "walking the self" and often I say (to myself!) "I am going to take myself for a walk" Hmmmm

3. She writes about journaling all day long. Keeping a journal with you so that you notice when you eat and when you want to eat. The events of your life and the emotions that trigger you desire to eat.

4. She writes about the 4 questions - when you want to eat.
  • Am I hungry?
  • Is this what I want to eat?
  • Is this what I want to eat now?
  • Is there something I can eat instead?

This is not exactly new - but helpful.

I am hoping to literally get myself on track into a healthier way to start the day. I have been a journaler in the past and have not gotten into a regular routine and I have been a morning walker in the past. Now that it is spring - maybe I can jumpstart my way into a new pattern.

The other wonderful event of yesterday was seeing Audrey. What a great coincidence that she was in Phoenix for a Bethany Fellows retreat and yesterday afternoon was their "fun time" and she could get away to have dinner with me and Chuck and Susan and Ken in a cuban restaurant. We sat outside in the patio and had a wonderful meal and great conversation.

I just loved the oppportunity to bring Audrey who I love together with susan and Ken who I love. Wow. What a blessing.

Now today - on to Sedona and a two day retreat!

No comments: