Thursday, February 7, 2008

Politics and David

Today is Chuck's birthday and David came over and they are sitting in the dining room talking while I am here writing this.

We met David the day that we moved in here. He was living across the street from us with some other people from Ghana. He immediately told us who he was and helped us to move items in and out of hte house. That was the beginning of a very interesting relationship that we have had with him.

He is a Christian and when he lived across the street would ask me to pray for him at certain difficult times. When we came, he told me that his prophet in Ghana had told him that a spiritual leader would be moving into his neighborhood. I never know what to make of stuff like that. He is from Ghana and is a widower with 4 children still living in Ghana. His mother who is 92 (?) years old takes care of his children. He later joined our church and with Chuck takes care of the church lawn.

Today is my day off and so I am home. I think David comes over here a lot more than I know.
He has been needing money for gas and Chuck frequently gives him food.....any leftovers at all go to David. Over the years we have watched him move to various apartments and from job to job to job. He is a good worker and responsbile - but he is "out of status" and has some sketchy work situations. I don't want to say more about that.

When he comes over here he always calls Chuck "My Master" and me "Reverend". Sometimes he calls Chuck he calls Chuck "Strong Man." Like this:
Me: "Hi David"
Him: "Good Morning Reverend. Is Strong Man here? Or is My Master Here?"
or sometimes he says: "Is Strong here?"
It is very different from any relationship we ever had in Bowling Green. :)

So, I am sitting in the family room and they are discussing politics and I am hearing alot of "Obama" which makes me curious. It turns out the David is VERY suspicious of Obama.
And he says he knows of no Africans who are for Obama. They think that he should take care of Kenya first(?) And he also said that he heard from a Muslim in Ghana that the Muslims are very supportive of Obama because they believe that he will not go to war with any Muslim country.

David also knows exactly how many delegates Hillary has and how many Obama has and how many superdelagates each one has. He told me that he is for Hillary. He said that if you want wisdom - you should go to a woman.

Now THAT is hard to argue with!

Anyway, it is certainly interesting to hear other people's point of view about all of this. We will be voting in March and it will definitely mean something.

No comments: