Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars

I can't help myself. I watch it every year and every year it makes me happy.

This year I was by myself except for Chuck walking in and out of the room and commenting.

This is what I like about the oscars.

First, I like the clothes and to watch the women get all dressed up. Some of these women just looked so beautiful and classy. My favorites were Katherine Heigl, Hilary Swank and Helen Mirren. I always try to catch the commentary the next day and get other people's opinions. For example, I thought Nicole Kidman's jewelry was weird and learned it was "perfect" for keeping people from noticing her pregnancy?!? Audrey called me when Tilda Swinton won her oscar and told me that is why she doesn't wear black and today I learned she wasn't wearing make-up and looking "amazing," Hmmmm. Anyway, I always like this stuff for some reason.

Second, I like all the montages because they remind me of the all the movies I have seen. Last night I realized I had seen every best movie since On the Waterfront except Braveheart.

Third, I like the clips from this year'smovies because they remind me of the movies I saw this year - and I saw most of them. I am grateful to Reagan because of her I saw "Enchanted" and "Ratatouille." I am grateful to Brian because of him I saw "Once" which I never would have watched. And I am grateful to Chuck becauce of him we made sure we saw "La Vie En Rose"
All of them were really good movies. The only movie I did not get to see that I wanted to see was "Atonement" and I bet I never do. I still want to see the "The Diving Bell and the Butterfy."

Finally, I love the spontaneity of the oscars and watching people being recognized for their work and their passion. I loved the Coen Brothers and how quirky they are and how excellent their movie was. I loved that the writer of Juno won for screenwriting. I loved that the song from "Once" won. And I loved that Marion whatever her name is won for "La Vie En Rose." That performance was pheonomenal.

I have always loved movies. These days the storytelling is often so layered and complicated and rich. For me the oscars is guilty pleasure and an evening to recognize creativity and excellence.

1 comment:

ELYSSA said...

I love the Oscars, too, and used to go to Oscar parties. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to stay up that late, but I recorded it and will watch all the speeches tonight. And like you, I LOVE film!! I think it's in our genes.