Wednesday, October 31, 2007

halloweed

We went to Kacey's for Halloween as we have done every year since we have been here.
We had sloppy joes and chips and brownies and watched the kids leave to go trick or treating.
This year the 4 of them all went together - "Alyse, Reagan, Addie and Jackson with parents who were dressed for Halloween and Dawn. What fun.
The 5 year old girls ran ahead with Brett and the little ones stayed with girls. They came home with bags full of candy - reminding me of my own time trick or treating and when the girls went out as children.

I got to hand out candy with Chuck and Karen, Brett's mom. We talked to all the kids and asked them what they were wearing. And with the older kids asked them to do "tricks" - one girl actually did a back flip on the driveway. Really we just wanted a joke or two! I love kidding around with kids!

The costumes of the kids were creative. Lots of pirates and wizards and little girls with wings - like angels, tinerbell, fairies. Some of it was funny - a teenage boy who was a "homosexual ghost" a "goth skateboarder" (without the skatboard) a boy dressed in jeans and T shirt who said he was dressed as his dad! One girl said she was dressed like a drama queen.

I asked a little girl who was in pink stiped dress, leggings and a pink sweater what her costume was and she didn't say anything. Her mother said - from the street - "tell her that you are dressed as jailbait." This girl was about 10 years old.
Afterwards - even though we laughed about it - you think - how does a mother explain that to her daughter? I want my grandgirls to be little girls. I love the fact that they dress as princesses - and play make believe. I hate the thought of how soon everything gets sexualized when it should be innocent.

I am grateful that we could have such a beautiful night as a family......I wonder how long it can be simple and fun.

No comments: