Saturday, November 3, 2007

morning out

Every three months we have a morning out for young women. I went to this one because I wanted to lead it on prayer.
We were at Kim Veatch's beautiful home and it is November 2nd and we were able to walk in the woods.

Whenever I do this kind of thing I have learned that less is more. What people need is time alone with God and I can always trust that in some way "God shows up." And it happened today.

I shared some resources on prayer from a prayer retreat I did in September. Among other things - the idea of meditation on nature and the serenity prayer and some Bible verses that matched the 12 steps of our "prayers anonymous." After we share some joys and struggles in our lives we just had time in this beautiful place to be with God.

I spent the time first writing a prayer and then walking in the woods. As I walked in the woods I first was meditating on this scripture: "As I Humble myself before the Lord, God lifts me up."
I walked fast and enjoyed the effect on my body of walking, walking, walking. I love the sounds of the leaves as I walked and walked along the river and just enjoyed the whole thing.
As I returned back to Kim's house, I at times wondered where the path was - but it always showed itelf to me. And I thought how much that is like my life. and my mantra then became
"As I humble myself before the Lord, God shows me the way."

Returning back and sharing with the other women was so meaningful. When we shared our struggles in the beginning I felt that they were universal - struggles with balance, with accepting people as they are, with what to do in the future, with being kinder, with weight (that's me!!) with life.
I think that having a morning and sharing and then allowing silence and nature and scripture to fill us can gives us some peace and faith. To keep going, to trust, to live.

I could do this every week.

No comments: