Monday, October 8, 2007

Lessons from Alyse

We got to spend time with Alyse, my 5 year old granddaughter. She just had a birthday and I had this idea that I would not buy her a gift but take her to Toys R Us. What a mistake that was.
We got there and it was too much. There were too many choices and just toooooo much everything for her. I had this idea that I would tell her about an amount of money ($30) and we would find a couple of somethings that she would like. Ahead of time we had talked about a Leapster game and a baby doll. So we are looking and I recognize over and over again how impatient I am. I want to explain stuff and she is supposed to listen and then choose carefully.
What the heck was I thinking?

Anyway, we looked at baby dolls and suddenly she picks up this purple purse with a doll in it and walks around with that. It only cost about $7 so I am ready to keep looking.
She wants to go to the bathroom, she wants to leave. I want to buy more.
Then we get to some games and some crafts. And books. Look at that suff. She sees a jewelry making kit and then says that is what she wants. Which one? She picks the biggest. Now she doesn't want the doll.

So, it is only $20 - how about a games? She said clearly, "I want to leave. I want to go!" She runs ahead. I am, of course, stupidly wanting her to come back and look at games.
"I want to leave. I want to go." I cannot write and depict her high kind of screechy voice at this point.
Finally we leave. And at the check out counter, the clerk says, "You are going to make some pretty jewelry. Will you make something for me?" And Alyse says "No!" And then she says,
"If I give you a sucker, will you make something for me?" And Alyse says "No!" And then we are stymied. Thank God she gave her a sucker and I said something about grace (I am a pastor, after all) and thank God Alyse said "Thank you."

So, the fun outing was not so fun. But the lesson for me is the one that I like to give others. Get to know the person and give them what they want - and not what you want!! And she wanted a wrapped present that I had picked out for her!!

When we went to make Jewelry it got frustrating, so Alyse ran away into a corner of the family room behind a chair and said she missed Jackson. So, I put on the TV and gradually she moved over there. And then I asked her if she wanted to pick out beads for my bracelet. And she did.

Maybe in a couple of weeks (or years) we will try it again. And make a bracelet for her.

Thank God for Grace.

1 comment:

Me said...

Love this. I can picture her doing all of it--and it is good to see that the frustration and indecision isn't only appearing when she is with me. :)