Wednesday, October 31, 2007

ezekiel part 2

I am up early this morning - at 6 AM and ruminating some more about Ezekiel. This description of his vision in chapter one goes on and one. A four faced creature with wheels and wings. I know that we can take it apart and talk about each face and what it means, and what the wheels and wings mean. Is that what I will do on Sunday? I don't think so.

Instead I keep thinking a God who gives us visions and how easy it is to ignore them and try to just live our lives on the surface.

And if we really pay attention to the visions and to the reality of God's communication with us what do we do with it? In Ezekiel's case he goes into worship. And I think about how easy it is for our "Sunday worship" to be rote and thin. Something we do - not something that takes us over.

And then he witnesses the light to those in the darkness. And God is telling him right from the beginning about how stubborn and rebellious the people are. And I think about how often I think about people who "you can't tell them anything" and so I don't even try. I just let it go and wait. For the moment. Which often never comes.

So, what is God wanting me to preach on Sunday? I keep coming back to the vision that is more than I can understand and even wrap my mind around. That is God. Will people understand this? Relate to this?

I don't know. I do....and I realize that when I glimpse this God, I run away. Is that just me, or is that our story?
Still ruminating......

No comments: