Friday, December 31, 2021

New Years Eve

For me this is a time for reflection. 

 But then every day is a time for reflection.  In the morning I tend to sit and ponder the events of the day before and look for the love, light and grace that I experienced in the previous day.  And I always find something that often brings me to tears. Daily reflection really is a gift we give ourselves.

But on New Years Eve we get to look back on a year in wonder and amazement.  There are lots of articles and TV shows that are reminding us of what we have collectively been through - the insurrection on Jan 6, the continuing Covid crisis, the trials, the miracle of vaccines, the frustration of the division over vaccines.  On and on.

I reflect on my life and the gifts of this year - new friends, pickleball, life at Gender Road, my family, life on White Pine Court with neighbors, getting vaccines, having minor surgery, doing spiritual direction, vacations with family and friends, now having a roommate.  What I see overall is blessing upon blessing. And I have a sense of awe understanding that my life - like all of us - unfolds.  Last year at this time, much of what has transpired since, was not at all in my plans. Instead, there was an invitation and I said - YES. And now I sit in gratitude and awe.

So looking ahead to 2022 I live in anticipation of what new blessings and opportunities for love and service God will give to me. I know I have posted this prayer before on this blog - but it seems fitting for this morning. 

 

Prayer of Teilhard de Chardin


Patient Trust

Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something unknown, something new.

And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.

And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.

No comments: