Thursday, December 9, 2021

Companions

Last night I did my  Wednesday night Bible study on zoom.  I am usually  in person and that is what I absolutely love.  We had a heck of a time connecting but did finally get there and despite the physical distance I felt a closeness as we studied the text together and shared about our lives.

We spent time looking into Luke 1 - and three stories - Gabriel visits Zecharias in the temple and announces that he and Elizabeth will have a son; Gabriel visits Mary and announces that she will have a son; Mary goes to visit Elizabeth. I have done at least two dozen Advent retreats over the years and frequently dive into these important texts.  They are always part of my spiritual preparation for Christmas.

I love the parallel stories of visitation - one to an  priest in a significant time and place. He was "chosen by lot....to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and offer incense."  He is there to pray for all the people.  He never expected that he would have a divine encounter and he doubted the promise made to him.  So the angel said: "because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in my time, you will become mute, unable to speak until the day these things occur."

And then there is the angel that visits Mary  - an insignificant woman in an insignificant  place - (Galilee) and she says - "Here I am the servant of the lord, let it be with me according to your word."  And the rest is history.

I love this story because it is about God who breaks into our world and our individual lives.  I can also read it as a call to give birth..  I especially like the part where the angel informs Mary that her cousin Elizabeth (old and barren) is with child.  That God is doing more than we know and "all things are possible."

The information about Elizabeth gives Mary a  confirmation and a companion.  Mary then travels eighty to a hundred miles to see Elizabeth.  As soon as she enters Elizabeth says: "blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb."  This companion validates the experience that she is having and is with her in these days of preparation for the birth.  I imagine that no one else in Mary's or Elizabeth's lives understood what was happening to them.

All of which makes me grateful for the companions in my life.  Back in the day, I was like Mary - starting off in ministry.  I had said yes and often felt like I didn't know what I was doing.  I am grateful for the Elizabeths in my life.  I especially remember Vonie Schall who was such a blessing when I was pastoring in Bowling Green Ohio.  Now I get to be Elizabeth for so many young women and my own daughters and granddaughters. . I know that God calls us over and over and over in our lives to trust and to go and to "give birth" to something new.  We need each other - someone to share the wonder and the struggle - who has been there and is there now.

So....on this beautiful day in December I thank God for the gift of the companions on the journey and the companionship of God/Jesus/Spirit.

Here is a blessing by Maxine Shonk


May God bless you on ordinary days,

gracing you with an awareness of the beauty of everyday, t

he comfort of the commonplace, 

and the awe of life as usual.

May you hear the invitation to new excetement over the contancy of God's care for you 

and to profound thanksgiving for God's faithful presence.

May the God of ordinary days, your COMPANION God, bless you

 

No comments: