Saturday, May 30, 2020

From the Perch of Privilege

That's where I feel like I am sitting this morning.

I have the privilege of being white as I watch TV and see the protesting and riots around the country - including Columbus about another death of a black man at the hands of the police.

I have the privilege of being on social security and a pension as I know that there are people who have lost their jobs during this pandemic and literally can't pay the bills

I have the privilege of being healthy ( I hope!) as people come down with the virus.

And my thought is - what do I do with my privilege?

Then I make a list of what I need/want to do on this Saturday?  And it is preparing for preaching next weekend, preparing for book group on Tuesday, sending out emails for the writer's group on Monday, preparing for 2 Bible studies next week, preparing for a new book study at church on Thursday and preparing for my Sunday afternoon front porch gathering for my peer group tomorrow.

Then I listen to "praying as you go" app as I sit on the back porch, journal in hand, dog beside me.
The scripture is John 21: 15-19. And hear Jesus say to Peter -
Peter do you love me?  Feed my sheep
Peter do you love me  Tend my little lambs
Peter do you love me  Feed my sheep

I sit with that and realize that my "work"  - these Bible studies, book groups, preaching, gatherings of people are all the ways in which I feed people (and myself)

I listen again to the text and hear this: "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Peter...."

And I remember that Jesus comes to meet the disciples on the beach and feeds them breakfast.   First.

Something has happened to me in the last few days because I have been fed.  I had Lisa come for two nights and it was really good to  be with her and have another person in the house with me.  I ended up having all the girls over in the front porch on Thursday evening playing games and eating pizza.  I brought together a group of people from Gender Road Friday afternoon (social distancing) just to share about the pandemic.  And I led four Bible studies.  All of this fed me.  All of it - the people, the Bible, the love.

So, from the perch of privilege I sit grateful for all of it and understanding that it is - like the grace of God - unearned.  And I do hear an answer to what to do with this gift - feed my sheep.  Tend to people in the way that I do - bringing them together to be cared for (listened to) , helping them to feed on the word of God and just plain loving.  It may not be everything - but it is certainly a beginning.

And I am grateful.  I am grateful this morning for the "Gifting God"who keeps feeding us and showing us the way to feed others.

May the GIFTING  Got be with you.
May you be endowed with the gift of god;s spirit.
May your investment in the kingdom be one of passion and compassion.
May you be blessed with a deep and grateful awareness of your own gifts and of the gifts offered to you by others throughout your day.
May the GIFTING  God bless you.

No comments: