Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A Rainy Day

Or should I say - ANOTHER rainy day.  It seems like it will not stop.

This seems to be a season for forbearance and endurance.  And living with the motto - this too shall pass.

I had a busy day yesterday between two zoom Bible studies, one zoom meeting with women clergy and a church board meeting.

The text that the women clergy read was Psalm 149 which begins like this

Sing to the Lord a new songs, his praise in the assembly of his faithful people.
Let Israel rejoice in their Maker
let the people of Zion be glad in their King.
Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp.
For the lord takes delight in his people.
he crowns the humble with victory
Let his faithful people rejoice in this honor
and sing for joy on their beds.

What struck me in this   were these words:
     New song
    praise his name with dancing
   the Lord takes delight


I do like the idea of the Lord who delights in us.  And that has always been part of my understanding of God - in the same way I delight in my children and grandchildren - God delights in me.  

Sunday I preached about the new song and the fact that God is doing a new thing.  I do believe that and trust it.  However, as Karen Carpenter sang - Rainy Days and Wednesdays always get me down.
(I know she said Mondays!)  I really like the idea of dancing - rather than walking or even slogging through days.

So, when I finish writing this, I think I will put some dance music on. .  Maybe that will help  to lift my spirits and help me to live into the joy that I desire today.  What I know to be true is this:  our days are very up and down and they are often affected by the weather.  I cling to the understanding that God is faithful regardless.  May we all make choices that may delight our God today.

And a perfect prayer by Maxine Shonk

May the Spirit of God DANCE with you, moving with you to the music of your experiences.
May you know God in step with you through every change of rhythm and song, every dip and pirouette.
May you learn to follow God's lead in your life and become a mentor and model for those on the dance floor with you.
May your DANCE with the Spirit of God all your days.







No comments: