Monday, May 18, 2020

God is doing a new thing

This was point three of my sermon yesterday.  The text was Matthew 9 and these sentences are taken from my sermon:


1.    Third truth – God is doing a new thing.  Jesus  uses the metaphor of new wine that needs to be put into new wineskins.   Van Bogarde Dunn: The living word shatters the old forms, breaks the letter of the law, and puts a new song in our hearts.



TT    his morning I began  the day with the app: "Pray as you Go" and the text that was used was:Psalm 149 which starts with these words:   Sing to the Lord a New Song.  

        All of this is word of hope as I start a new week.  We are slowly opening up here in Ohio and I am ready.  Yesterday it was so good to be with people at church instead of watching alone in my home.  I have made a hair appointment - 2 more weeks to wait! - which gives me sense of newness.

I      After months of sheltering in place and waiting for spring and for a lessening of danger, I need to  believe that God is doing a new thing. It is easy to fall into the mindset that everything is going to stay the same or get worse.  My body is only getting older and I still live with a veil of sadness .  My faith tells me that God's activity may be hidden from view - but it is still at work.
 
I    I  don't know what difference this will make in what I do today - but my spirit lifts as I consider that there is hope for something NEW to happen.  

     Here is a fitting blessing for today by Maxine Shonk

    May the God of NEWNESS be with you, freshening you with renewed energy and awakening you with new perspectives on old vision.
     May you be free enough to let go of what is stale and used up and embrace what is new and full of promise
.
      May God's grace be with you as you wrap yourself in what is right, if unfmailiar.
      May you look upon your life and your ministry with the eyes of God, ever new and ever transforming.
       May the God of NEWNESS be with you.










No comments: