Friday, February 28, 2020

Mutually Encouraged

One of the texts for today is Romans 1: 8-17 which has this verse in it

"For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you–or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine."

Paul is writing to the Romans about his desire to see them.  It is to teach, to share the gospel but always with the understanding that the relationship is MUTUAL. 

I think I know that now more than ever in my life - our faith is mutual.  It is not that I stand apart as pastor to teach the people - it is a mutual sharing of our lives and our faith. I visited parishioners from Gender Road yesterday and the first thing I found myself saying was - don't call me "Pastor Margot"  - I have been Margot to church members my whole life long and I am not starting now with this title.  I think the title gets in the way of the mutuality of our faith sharing.

I am feeling blessed by the opportunity to do pastoral care because invariably my faith becomes strengthened.  I get to sit with people and hear their life stories which are - like mine - full of ups and downs, times of suffering and times of success.  And in this sharing I see God's activity in their lives and their courage and endurance.  Over and over again I recognize how hard life is at times for everyone.  I know churches can sometimes be disappointing, but church is also the place where people live out their faith - caring for one another through the most difficult times.  And the result is "mutual encouragement."  We are in this together and trusting God's unseen presence, power and love  which is frequently glimpsed in the actions of ordinary people.  

I am getting ready to go to my volunteer job at the hospital in which no one knows I am "Pastor Margot" but I still have an opportunity to silently encourage and pray for women as they have mammograms and  biopsies. We are in this life together and in every way we get to encourage each other more than we know.

As I start this day I pray that I might be one who encourages others.  Here is a morning prayer:



"Lord, grant me tenacious winsome courage as I go through this day. When I am tempted to give up, help me to keep going. Grant me a cheerful spirit when things don't go my way. And give me courage to do whatever needs to be done. In Jesus' name, Amen." - Dr. Ray Pritchard

No comments: