Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Minister of Engagement

That is my title at Gender Road Christian Church  - given to me and I have grown to like it.

Lately I have become more and more aware of the truth of the statement - LIFE IS HARD.  A neighbor of Susan's died this week - a woman who I had come to love and looked forward to seeing when i make my semi annual trips to Phoenix.  And she died alone at home.  And she spent a lot of time alone at home.

And I have become more and more aware of people living alone - very alone - at home.  While I imagine I am busier than most - I still feel pretty alone at home.  So, I am making plans to leave home and move into a retirement community.  Sometime in the next year.  I can still be alone there - but there will be much more community that is available to me on a regular basis.  And I need community.

Which brings me to this interesting supposedly 10 hour a week position that I have - minister of engagement.  It means that every other week I engage with people in two different book groups around the book Everything Belongs.  And it means that I preach once a month and attend worship at least twice a week and it means that I do hospital calls.

This morning I went to OSU and had an interesting conversation with a man who is a church member and patient at the hospital.  Afterward I suggested prayer and he held my hand and he prayed first.  I was so touched by his prayers for his health, his son, our church choir and some people by name.  Then I prayed afterward specifically for him.  It was so fulfilling and strengthening of my faith as I engaged in the deepest kind of intimacy in prayer.

It is very true that LIFE IS HARD.  But it is equally true that GOD IS GOOD.  And loving each of us, always.  whether we know it or not.

No comments: