Saturday, February 29, 2020

Like a child

Today the text contains this verse

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

I don't know how many times I find myself hearing again that I must become like a child.  I must find that child within me who is humble, open  and empty of power.  It is similar to the Buddhist idea of having a "Beginner's Mind".  I googled "beginner's mind" and found some interesting quotes


  • In the Beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few.  Shunryu Suzuki   
  •  "You have so many opinions,  And you suffer so much from them.  Why not let them go?" Ajahn Chah
  • "A child's world is fresh and new and beautiful, full of wonder and excitement.  It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear'eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood.  If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life."  Rachel Carson

Today I am going to Dayton to hear some Ted X talks and then work on my sermon for tomorrow.  My hope and prayer is that I might come like a child - with wonder and openness.  It is easy to say that every day is a gift and God continues to bless and reveal Godself but really - only to those who are looking, open, empty.  Like a child.

 Dear Lord, help me to have a simple and childlike faith in You and, through this simple faith, come to know the beautiful mysteries You desire to reveal to me.  Give me wisdom and knowledge, dear Lord, beyond what I could ever obtain by myself.  Jesus, I trust in You.  Amen


No comments: