Monday, September 21, 2015

A Life Worthy

The texts of today are: Ephesians 4: 1-7, 11-13; Psalm 19, Matthew 9: 9-13

My first reading is Paul:
Brothers and sisters:
I, a prisoner for the Lord,
urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience,
bearing with one another through love,
striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit
through the bond of peace:

And I reflect on yesterday and find myself struggling with my irritability and impatience with my husband.  he is aging, he doesn't hear well, he processes slowly and I react - out loud - with it all.  Wanting him to act differently, to be someone he is not.

Not exactling living a life "worthy" of the calling I have received.

It is the gospel lesson of today that gives me hope and comfort. As I read about Jesus who calls Matthew; Jesus who eat with sinners, Jesus who says:
 Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

And so my silent prayers ensue.  Asking for a loving spirit to fill me so that I might receive mercy and walk in the ways of the Lord.  So that I might grow - not only in faith - but in love.  Love for everyone - but especially for those who are closest to me.

Lord Jesus, son of the living God, have mercy on me.

Amen

No comments: