Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rule of Life

At our Bible study this morning our text was a very familiar one - Philippians 4: 4-9. In her book "Abide" Macrina Weiderkehr calls it "A Rule of Life." She quotes Johanne Baptist Metz -
We are all beggars,
we are all members of a species that is not sufficient unto itself.
We are all creatures plagued
by unending doubts and restless, unsatisfied hearts.


And so we seek a rule of life - a guide for this spiritual journey. These words from Paul are truly a gift, a jewel that bring comfort and peace. I share them today and also a reflection on them.

A Rule of Life
Philippians 4:4-9
4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice
. 5Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near.
6Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known to God.
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable,
whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable,
if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise,
think about these things.
9Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me,
and the God of peace will be with you.









For Prayerful Reflection this week:
I will let joy be an echo of God’s abiding presence in my life.
I will attune my heart to the needs of others so that my kindness will blossom
My trust in the blessings of daily life will give me more power than my anxiety about daily life.
Gratitude and thankfulness will be the center of all my prayer.
I will invite the peace of Christ to stand guard over my heart.


May God's loving spirit stand guard at the door of all of our hearts and minds!

No comments: