Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Arizona

We just returned from a trip to Sedona and it was memorabl.e

We got there Sunday night and on our way to Susan and Ken's timeshare stopped at the "Chapel of the Holy Cross." Several people had mentioned it to me and I really wanted to see it. I had no idea what it was - a beautiful chapel high up in the red rocks of Sedona. It was beautiful and holy. It is a Catholic place of worship and we could enter the sanctuary, sit on the pews, listen to the meditative music, light a candle and look out on the mountains and the blue Arizona sky. Words are incomplete in describing the experience of being in that space - but I can only say, it was what I needed.




I had been to Sedona before and this time I really wanted to go to some of the vortices and experience them. I did not just want a tour explaining the history and geography, but I wanted a spiritual experience. We booked a trip through a company called "Earth Wisdom" for Tuesday morning. We - was me and my friend Susan. Leaving our husbands behind for this. Our guide was a 40 year old man who has renamed himself "Gabriel Masterson." And we really enjoyed him and best of all - our tour was only Susan and me. In an open jeep with Gabriel.
We went to two vortex sites - at Cathedral Rock and Boynton canyon. When we were there, Gabriel gave us time to meditate and pray and journal while he played the flute. It was so perfect. i bought his flute music - and will use it myself in meditation. Like the trip to the chapel, it all was what I needed as I continue to experience healing and feel like God is calling me to rest in God's spirit.

At one of the restaurants where we ate one of the waiters said that Sedona itself is a vortex - meaning a place of holy energy. And maybe that is true. There is something that happens to my soul as we make the drive from Phoenix and start to see the magnificent red rocks of Sedona.

I also have read a couple of books that were really meaningful to me during this trip to Arizona. The first was "The Wonder Worker" by Susan Howatch. It is the 6th of a series of books by her writeen over about 20 years about spiritual directors in England. This book really spoke to me about spiritual direction and it was at the same time a real page turner with wonderful character development. I loved it.

And in about 24 hours I sat and read through "This is Where I Leave You" by jonathon Tropper. Susan recommended it and it is not only hard to put down but hard to stop thinking about. It is funny and smart and insightful and deeper than you first realize. The wit of the book hooks you - but it is so much more than that. I really recommend this book!

So, we ae back in Phoenix for about 5 more days of rest, reading, movies, and 500 rummy with old friends. it is good to be here.

2 comments:

Me said...

Sounds wonderful.

Marnie said...

Great post - sounds amazing! Can't wait to read/hear more!